Friday 27 August 2010

Daffodil Day 2010

I went volunteering for the first time yesterday for Daffodil Day, even though the official day is today. It's held by the Cancer Council each year, raising money for cancer research, education and support services.

I signed up for an eight hour shift at Doncaster Westfield, where a table had been set up, and it was crammed with a large range of merchandise for sale, I counted at least 20 different varieties! I remember years ago, there was only a few items to choose from. Well this year there was Dougal the plushie bear, soft soccer balls, fresh daffodils, shopping lists, pens, keychains, photo frames, about ten different brooches and even an USB stick!

Time passed fairly quickly. From 1 to 5pm, I was with two other volunteers. During that time, we raised over $700! When there was not many people around, we share stories and blew up yellow and blue balloons for little kids passing by. Everyone we met was extremely nice and kind, some even stayed to chat for a while.

It was a great feeling doing my bit for the community and for a good cause. I will definitely volunteer again next year. Bring on Pink Ribbon Day!

At the end of the day, I also purchased a key-chain, a brooch and a Dougal bear.

No comments: