Pros of living in China:
- The cost of living is cheaper. Say if one earns money in Australia, then spend it in China, nearly everything would seem a whole lot more affordable, especially every day essentials.
- Late closing times are very convienient. Every day, shopping centres are open until 10 to 11pm, unlike in Melbourne, where the shops close at 5.30pm except on Thursdays and Fridays when shops close at 9.00pm.
- Clothing range: the varieties of clothes on sale in China is far more diverse than what I have noticed in Melbourne. Most of my clothes are bought from China as there are not many clothes that suit me or my tastes back in Melbourne.
- Food glorious food: I can enjoy authentic Chinese cuisine in China, as well as other delicacies which cannot be found in Australia.
Cons of living in China:
- Large population: in my hometown, Ningbo, alone, there are over 5 million people. Due to rapid development, the number of vehicles on the roads are increasing by hundreds every day. It is a pain just to park your car, not to mention travelling a major road during peak hours. My cousin told me that you can leave your car on the road to use the toilet and when you return, your car would still be in the same spot!
- Dangerous traffic: in China, you cannot wait until the road is clear to cross the road, or else you will never get to the other side. It is a pedestrian's job to safely weave in and out of vehicles to cross the road. Cars will come within inches of you, even on a pedestrian crossing. Cars are not the only danger. Cyclists and motorcyclists are probably the most daring people on the roads. They are everywhere, zooming in and out of streets, one must keep their wits about them in order to avoid being hit.
- Inadequate control of hygiene rules: even though their are "keep our country clean" signs everywhere, some people still spit all over the place, which is much more indecent than littering. When I walk on the streets, I have to constantly look on the ground to avoid stepping on spit. Eww...XP Australia is much cleaner and less pollution results in a better environment.